Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 3: Clouds

In the 30 Day Photo Challenge series ...


Kyrie



Anna



I learned that landscape mode produces very marginally better photos of clouds than the auto setting does. I might only be imagining the difference between them, though; they are very close. For some reason, the evergreens came out very dark in all the photos I tried to take of them, even though they were green to my eyes. There was just one exception, and it may have been the flash that made the difference that time. (Maybe I should try it in manual mode with higher iso? If I ever figure out the other manual-mode settings.) I also learned that boring clouds make boring pictures. I had to find the areas where the clouds had some sort of edge or boundary, where one cloud transitioned into another. Otherwise I just ended up with a blank expanse of gray as a photo.

2 comments:

  1. Why yes. If I learned anything from my experimentation in manual mode today (post coming, still working on it) it's that ISO is important, moreso than I initially realized, which I find interesting, because if we were back in the days of film, it's not like you can just whip out a new roll without wasting what's left of the one you're got.

    Real, true, great photography must have taken an insane amount of skill prior to the days of digital, I've decided.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that, before a professional shoot, photographers would look around at the lighting in the scene and then decide what kind of film they needed for that day. And maybe they'd even shoot with one roll of film and then repeat the whole thing with a different kind of film.

    Great photography took a lot of skill and, I think, a lot of willingness to use up lots of film and take a lot of time taking millions of shots to make sure that you had at least one that was just perfect. (I actually saw an article once on how so many professional photographers have switched to digital because the ability to immediately view their photos saved them so much time, since they could stop as soon as they had the shot they wanted.)

    So digital saves a lot on film and time. But I was thinking yesterday that I might be spending just as much $ on batteries as people used to spend on film. My camera seems to be a bit of a battery hog. I think it's time to find some CRV3 rechargeables, expensive though they are.

    ReplyDelete