Saturday, April 2, 2011

A Moment of Fiction

Alice was tied down and strapped to a chair. Mark Higgins had hooked up a strange device to her head that he said would control the chemistry in her brain.

"Do you still believe in God?" He asked.

"Of course," said Alice. "He's right here with me." And indeed, she felt a deep sense within her of the overwhelming love of God for her. It was as if she were caught in a big bear hug.

Mark hit some buttons on the computer that the head device was connected to. Abruptly, the sense of love within Alice was gone, replaced by a dark feeling of desolation and abandonment.

"What about now?" he asked. "God has left. He's not with you anymore."

"Silly Mark", Alice replied, although she felt like crying. "Daddy's still with me. It's only the sense of him that's gone." She paused to try to think of an analogy.

"It's like..." she started.  "It's like before he was standing right in front of me, and I could see him with my eyes. And now he's walked around behind my back. I can't see him anymore, and I might be tempted to think he's not there. But the truth is that he's still with me and never left."

No comments:

Post a Comment