Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Misconceptions

Today's XKCD article has me skimming through the surprisingly-addictive Wikipedia List of common misconceptions.

There you can learn that Napoleon did not have a Napoleon complex, that searing meat does not seal in moisture, that sugar does not cause hyperactivity in kids, that bats are not blind, that people don't only use 10% of their brains, that you don't lose most of your body heat through your head, and so on.


  • In the great wood vs. plastic cutting-board debate, I read something which linked to this article.  The whole bit got removed, though, by the time I looked back (apparently for not being a common enough misconception).  I was very glad to see it before it got removed, though, because I have been wondering about that for awhile.  (It may be back again when you look.  It appears to be in a constant state of revision.)
  • "There is also abundant empirical evidence to support bumblebee flight." This sentence made me laugh. Apparently in the time that it took me to look back at it again, it had been removed, too.

If you read it, tell me what your favorite one was.

No comments:

Post a Comment