Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Backwards Mass Times?

My parish has listed its New Year's Mass times as:

New Year's Eve: 9am.
New Year's Day: 5pm.

It seems so backward to me.  You're supposed to have Mass in the morning on the "day of" and Mass on the evening before as the Vigil/Eve service.  On the other hand, Ken pointed out that this way they avoid interfering with any partying in the evening of the 31st and avoid dealing with hungover people the following morning.  But it still seems fundamentally wrong to me to try to have a 9am Mass as an Eve/Vigil service the day before.  I'm wondering if they wrote it wrong, since they do usually offer 5pm Masses for the Vigil and 9am Masses for the "day of".  Wrote it wrong twice, since it appeared in both the bulletin and a nice Christmas letter that they sent out.  We'll just have to see, I guess.

1 comment: