1. Kyrie: "Mom, look, I trapped an ant in this [plastic, Easter] egg. Can I feed the ant?"
|Like ants, Jules can sometimes be found in odd corners where she doesn't belong.|
2. Savi: "Somehow, things got messy in here." Yes, it's a deep mystery how your toys got spread all over your bedroom floor.
|And it's a mystery how Julie got here.|
3. Me: "Savi, go look for your dad's other sandal."
Me: "Savi, go stand in the corner until you're ready to look for it."
Savi: "I have to put the ipad away."
*puts the ipad away*
Me: "Look in the kitchen."
*she looks in the kitchen*
Me: "Look under the table and the chairs."
Savi: "Nope, not there."
Me: "Look behind the couch."
Savi: "No, but I did only find one of dad's sandals back there."
Me: "You found one of dad's sandals behind the couch?"
Me: "That's what you were supposed to be looking for in the first place."
|Talk about a "hand in the cookie jar" moment.|
4. Me: "Who's in the kitchen? Savi, are you in there?"
Savi, from the kitchen, "No."
|Her siblings think she needs to be a hippie. Or they think this is just what headbands are for.|
5. Kyrie, to Elijah: "I'm going with you." [Emphatically adds] "No matter what." Then, without really pausing, "No, I'm going with Savi, so we can talk about what we're going to do."
|I have no idea how I managed to catch those exact expressions.|
6. On the summer solstice, June 21st, the longest day of the year, round about dinnertime or bedtime Elijah asked me, "Today was a really short day, wasn't it, Mom?"
|He decided to pose like this. On his own.|
7. Tv commercial: Is the IRS stalking you?
Me: "Ken, is the IRS stalking you?"
Ken: "Yes, it's right outside the window."
a bit more back and forth
Savi then wandered into the kitchen, looking outside and trying to get a glimpse of who was outside that we were talking about.
|"Lut Mommy! Lut Mommy!"|
8. Gabe's vocabulary has been expanding very noticeably lately, and he's getting more adventurous in what he tries to say. But he still has conversations like this sometimes:
Gabe: "Lut Dahdee."
Ken: "Luh Bobby?"
Gabe: "Lut Dahdee."
Me: "He's saying, 'Look Daddy' ".
Ken: "Look? Look at what?"
Gabe: "Lut Dahdee." [pointing]
Ken: "What is it?"
Me: "I think it's bug."
Ken: "Is it a bug?" [getting up to look]
Ken: "What kind of bug? Is it a spider?"
Me: "Or a fly."
Ken: "Is it a fly?"
Ken: "Is it a spider fly?"
Ken: "Is it a flying spider?"
|Not a flying squirrel. A very bold one, though.|
9. Yet another conversation:
Savi: "I like those zucchinis."
Ken: "What, you like bikinis?"
Savi: "Yeah. I want some to eat."
|Not as yummy as Dad's kind of peanut butter (Jif), but still good. Even Gabe can say "pea buher poon?"|